Thursday, July 24, 2008

SHANGHAI NIGHTS

Just have a few free minutes to check in as I sit in the lobby of the Shanghai Museum waiting for the rest of the crew. How much 5,000 year old ceramic can a person look at really??

Arrived this morning on the overnight train from Beijing. Train itself was fairly nice though each compartment had six rather than four bunks. The overnight train thing is getting a bit old....just three more...plus three nights on a boat!

Yesterday, I noticed that I've lost my first item in seven and a half months on the road. Seems I left behind a pair of shorts in the last hotel when I packed at the speed of light in an attempt to be on time for my bike tour after oversleeping due to a late night out with the last tour group. (run-on sentence?).

So after some intense shopping, I'm now rocking two brand new pairs...one bargained for and one 50% off at Esprit. Sadly the lost pair were my favorites, so I'll need Keith/Tina/Jenn to hit Charlie Porter's to replace my navy blue "7"'s.

The other highlight yesterday was finally getting my mullet cut. Seems Beijing is not the place to get your haircut, as I was told over and over by Americans. However, I found a lovely woman to do mine (with a shampoo) for $5.25 U.S.!! Beat that!!

My favorite part of the cut, aside from the included neck and temple massage, was washing out the shampoo. Seems the barber chairs don't swivel, so to get your head over the sink, one must lean forward into the bowl with your face nearly touching the porcelain. I feared she might drown me!!

Anyway......I should go try to find a taxi back to the hotel now.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

Denise said...

"Seems I left behind a pair of shorts in the last hotel when I packed at the speed of light in an attempt to be on time for my bike tour after oversleeping due to a late night out with the last tour group. (run-on sentence?)."

Adding a comma before "due to" might help. (Sorry, I couldn't resist; I do this on a daily basis for my job.)

Have you eaten cat? If so, please don't ever tell me or post it on your blog.

Jeff Shelby said...

Esprit??? You couldn't find Wet Seal?