Monday, July 21, 2008

One World One Dream

So it's taken me some time to get myself back to a reasonably good computer. Oddly, internet cafes are not so popular here in China.

First of all, it's hot as hell here and people like to spit lots and lots. Aside from those two things, I'm loving Beijing. My Pringles and Snickers diet is a distant memory as we've eaten real well over the past four or five days.

I've been to the Great Wall a couple times, visited Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, took a three-hour bike ride through the city, ate duck twice, visited various temples, attended a Kung Fu show, went out to the Olympic Stadium and much, much more.

The energy in anticipation of the Olympics is something else here. They are definitely ready. I only wish I'd have been here a year or two ago to compare it to now. Sounds like the city has received a complete makeover.

On Sunday I "turned over" tours. Things ended up working really well with the Trans-Siberian crew and I'm going to miss them. Even since I've joined the new group I've been out with the old group a bit. Likely I'll see Sally over the next few weeks as her next tour sorta mirrors mine.

So the new group is composed of:

-Two English girls who are friends from University
-Two American guys from California (one of whom is finishing up an around-the-world trip)
-One English fellow (my roommate) who is just beginning his around-the-world trip)

So far, so good. Today, they're all doing activities that I did previously with the old group, so I have the day to myself to handle some administrative stuff.

Tomorrow night we hop on an overnight train to Shangai. I think the novelty of the overnight train has completely worn off by now...but I have four more!

Side notes:

-McDonald's here serves corn in a cup
-Went to the outdoor food market where the following items were for sale: scorpion, snake, silkworm, bees and much, much more......I had the veggy dumplings instead.

Working on uploading pics, but it's proving difficult. Microsoft Windows in Chinese is a challenge!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found your blog interesing reading.. I am marking it so i can keep up.. good work keep it up and let us know what you see over there.. I know I ill never make it over there still got to many places here in the states to see before I venture abroad.. god luck and have fun.
the dr.

Bob Stricker said...

And here I thought MY nickname was "the dr.".

Jeff Shelby said...

Spitting? Can you elaborate?

ashley said...

ahh... i love the english in the sign of instructions for coming down the wall... too funny!

Unknown said...

Hey Bob,

Cool posts of our month in China and beyond and some good pics I might just borrow. I agree Yangshao was probably the best, although I would have liked to spend more than 18 hours in Hong Kong. Those memories feel like quite a long time ago in a way- from someone at the end of the road to someone with quite a bit left to go, enjoy every minute of it!