Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Little of This/A Little of That

Things I've learned over the past weeks:

-Swedes are the greatest consumers (per capita) of bananas in the world...

-The current Mayor of Prague summitted Everest WHILE in office. Cracks me up that this guy took time out during his tenure running a major European city to do this.

-In Sweden they have a law called, Allemansratten, that allows anyone, foreign or domestic, to camp on private property within the nation's borders. In addition, one may pick fruits and vegetables on said land. Honestly.

-Swedish maternity leave is one full year and paternity leave is three months

-Sweden ALSO has escalators that run in both directions and turn themselves off when not in use.......I swear!!

-Sweden is fifth (behind Andora, Japan, San Marino, Singapore) in the world in life expectancy

-You never want to hear this on a boat cruise: "To the left is where the ABBA Museum will be opening next year..."

-Anne Frank's father had a "Hitler mustache"....and survived the holocaust

-I'm amused that McDonald's uses the "I'm Lovin' It" pitch abroad too and doesn't bother to translate.

-In Sweden (and evidently in the rest of the European Union), stoplights turn yellow before they switch from red to green.

-And finally, a northern Swedish nomadic tribe has a motto that may as well be mine: "Why stand when you can sit; why sit when you can lay."

5 comments:

Rosa said...

The former "great" mayor of Phila took time out of his day to wait in line for an I-Phone.

Thanks for the maternity info, but are you planning on fatherhood?

Get over the escalators already!

Bob Stricker said...

A valid point with regard to Mr. Street, Rosa.

And I think we both know I can´t take care of myself, let alone a baby!

Rosa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosa said...

Sorry, deleted comment by accident. I was curious about the maternity, paternity info. Was wondering if you were actually planning to settle down somewhere along your journey! Guess not!

Great Pixs!

Jeff Shelby said...

Paternity leave is only 3 months? That's nothing. I'm closing in on five years...