Tuesday, June 10, 2008

FROM HOLLVIKEN

After a week in Denmark, I've made way to the second of my Scandinavian countries, Sweden.

My friend Kristina (from Africa) picked me up in Malmo train station as I came over the Oresunds Bridge (16 kilometers long) from Copenhagen.

Last night and tonight we're staying in her friend's summer cottage on this cute little southwestern Swedish peninsula. The home, the village and the lifestyle here remind me exactly of being at Jane's in Falmouth (without the indiscriminate throwing of cups of beer at screen doors of course). Is that enough of an inside joke for this blog?

Anyway...tomorrow we're heading to Kristina's home in Gothenburg and then this weekend meeting up with some of her friends on a couple islands on Lake Vanern. I'm feeling quite uneasy about imposing way too much here....but it's certainly nice to have the company nonetheless.

After three nights in Denmark last week, I headed northwest to the second biggest city, Arhus. The hostel I stayed in their was outside the city center and in a beautiful park near the sea. It was in fact an old 1950's dance hall and I had my own room....which was nice.

One day I took the train further north to the tip of Sweden's coast and the town of Skagen. For a variety of reasons, I failed to actually get to the very, very top point of the country. (i.e. tourist office closed, couldn't find bus schedule, too cheap to pay for taxi, walked in wrong direction)

While in Arhus, I hit what I would say has been my favorite museum on the entire six-month journey. Called, Aros, it's composed almost exclusively of contemporary art that was right up my alley. After being abused in the last posting for mentioning artists by name, this time I'll just tell you there were three pieces from a guy whose name rhymes with Mandy Pourhall.

On one of the lower floors of the museum, they had a special exhibition of music video directors, including Spike Jonze, called "MUSIC TO SEE".. They had created, effectively, five small individual movie theatres in one large gallery each showing a different director's videos.

When paying my entrance fee to the museum, I hardly expected to be watching Bjork, the Beastie Boys and Fatboy Slim....

Also, in the lobby, they have this incredibly spooky and lifelike, 5-meter high sculpture called "BOY". http://www.billedearkivet.com/details.php?gid=&sgid=&pid=719

Anyway...things are going well. I think I have the next couple weeks mapped out leading up to my Russian train tour on the 30th.

Things are still very expensive and the incredibly level of English spoken here, somewhat embarrassing to me. I half expect these Danes/Swedes to correct me for ending sentences with prepositions.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: