I've made my way to Kristiansand on the southern coast of Norway.
Spent the past two nights in Oslo staying with Helene and Kaja who I met in Croatia in April. So, so, so, so, so, so sweet and generous of them to put me, a fool who they only knew from a couple hours of talk at a bar ten weeks ago, up in their place. I absolutely expect to be able to reciprocate in 2009 if they come over. My friends in Boston, Washington, NYC should know I also promised them I'd find them couches in those cities should they find themselves there.
Wednesday night I arrived in the evening after a long train ride from Stockholm. The girls were at the Metro Station waiting for my arrival. I took it pretty easy and just went to a delicious, if overpriced, dinner at a local fish house. My surprisingly tasty starter was Fried Cod tongue.
On Thursday, I got up relatively early and believe I may have set a record for most tourist sites hit in one day. The inclement weather kept me moving quickly. Included in my day were trips to:
-Vigeland Park - outstanding sculpture park that I had not expected to enjoy...see pics below
-Munch Museum -some cool stuff including famed "The Scream" which was stolen and recovered a few years ago. Security now is ridiculous and super high-tech.
-Central Train Station to purchase three different tickets for later travels
-The National Gallery - also surprisingly impressive and also includes another version of "The Scream"...which ALSO was stolen and recovered not long ago!
-Viking Museum to see three 1,000-year old ships they uncovered last century
-Folk Museum - just went REALLY quickly to check out an example of a Norwegian Stave Church
-Kon-Tiki Museum - dedicated to travels of Thor Heyerdahl who built and sailed on "boats" of reeds to try to prove that ancient migrations may have been possible where earlier not thought possible
-Peace Center - Museum dedicated to the Nobel Peace Prize which is awarded in Oslo each year. Also WAY, WAY state of the art
-Opera House - One of the coolest buildings I've come across on my travels. Just opened about 2 months ago. Original budget was 900 million U.S. dollars. 900 million!! In a town that only has 500,000 residents. Norwegians can't spend their enormous oil money fast enough!! They have heated most of their sidewalks for christ's sake.
-Lunch at Teketopa where two beers and a pizza set me back 42 bucks
-Dinner with Helene and her friends at YaYa's, a lovely Thai spot
Over the course of the day used a bus, the Metro, a ferry and my feet lots. Was tired by the end of the day!
Off to Stavanger tomorrow.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment