So first things first; I emailed a few people last night saying that this town I'm in now (Zadar) sucks. Turns out I just chose a wretched location to stay is all. Walked (about an hour) into the walled town today and it's incredible. Great harbor, filled cafes everywhere (unsure why folks aren't at work) and lots of "old stuff" everywhere to visit. This linked picture gives a good idea of the peninsula that is the town:
http://www.transport-zadar.com/images/Zadar1433.JPG
OK, so I'm on my own now. Kevin left from Split for home (via Venice) on Saturday. I think he had a good time...I was definitely pleased to have someone along with me. I hadn't originally intended on stopping in Split, but as Kevin needed to travel through there to catch his train, it seemed a sensible stop. It's a relatively large sea port city with a bit of a cold war era feel to it, but the old town constructed around Diocletian's Palace had some buzz to it. Kevin and I ended up in less than stellar accommodation partly because we didn't book ahead and partly because there was a boat show in town for the weekend. The first place that a guy we met at the ferry port showed us we rejected as it was VERY scary during the day, let alone at night. Kevin has photos...I was afraid to take out my camera. Speaking of said camera, after dropping it not once, not twice, but three times on the way home from the bar the other night, it only kinda works now. Need to find someone to look at it or get another one soon I think.
OK, working backwards, prior to Split we were on Hvar Island. During the summer season, it apparently is THE Adriatic destination spot for the ultra rich playboy set....so I fit right in. Actually things were pretty quiet there during our visit and we just chilled, did some walking around and had some cocktails.
Before Hvar, we were on lovely Korcula Island just south. Korcula also was a bit quiet as their busy tourist season has yet to begin. We rented bikes one day and checked out the winery grape fields and unsuccessfully looked for a spot to do some tasting. Met a few girls, Helen, Una and Dana, from England on the bus to Korcula and had drinks with them each of the two evenings on the island.
Prior to Korcula, we met up in Dubrovnik. I'm ready to place this town among the top ten I've visited. Beautiful, under-touristed and seemingly a vibrant nightlife. It passes my "would I go back" test.
While there, we walked the city walls, randomly searched for live music clubs (Klub Orlando?), partied 'til nearly dawn, ate at extravagantly expensive restaurants (http://www.gilsdubrovnik.com/) run by the Russian mob, and talked to Norwegian film students....well I did anyway...sorry Kev. Two attractive college students (Helene & Kaia) from Oslo invited me to stay with them when I'm in town. They insisted (honestly) that I take their phone number and email address. I'm sure I'll fit right in on their IKEA coach watching kids 15 years younger than me walk in and out with their schoolbooks.
Anyway, I have one more night here, then two in Pula up the coast. After calculating the cost of a bus ($30) vs. a plane ($51) and the time involved (11 hours vs. 45 minutes) I made a call to Croatia Airlines.
From Pula I'll fly to the capital, Zagreb, for a couple nights and then into Slovenia for four. After that, my time "alone" is over for at least a month. Excited to travel with buddies in Italy, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands and Denmark!
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Just livin' the dream.
Post a Comment