OK, I suppose I should start with the big news in our tour group. One individual has been thrown from a horse and broken an ankle........................but it wasn't me!!
Poor Aussie Jess was riding just in front of me when Trigger tossed her to the ground last week in the Brazilian Pantanal. Initially diagnosed as just a sprain by "Tour Doctor Matt", eventually when she got an x-ray two days later a fracture showed up. In Matt's defense, his specialty is vasectomies. Seriously.
Anyway...Jess is hanging in there and is going to make it to La Paz next week it appears. And I will never be getting on a horse again.
So now a quick recap of the last week or so:
Celebrated Christmas on December 24 at a lodge in the Pantanal. Lots of drinking disgusting liquors, a good dinner, card-playing and gift exchange. I secured a PARAGUAY t-shirt from my Secret Santa, David. My gift of a BONITO t-shirt and a deck of cards was surely a hit with Matt. All-in-all wasn't a bad night. On Christmas itself, we were travelling.
Crossing the Brazilian border into Bolivia was FANTASTIC! First of all, Americans are the only nationality that Bolivia requires a travel visa for. We're not terribly popular here. I attempted to secure a visa at the embassy in Rio last month, but was rejected. Fortunately, tour leader, Carla knew a ¨friend¨ (cough, cough...MAFIA) at the border who slid by paperwork through for a 35% premium. Was utter chaos at the border. There were policeman, border officials and Carla's ¨friends¨. Can you guess who was giving the orders? Regardless, I'm in safely with a 90 day visa.
We spent one quick night in the cosmopolitan city of Santa Cruz...not much to tell there. Next up we took a short flight to Sucre, Bolivia's capital. Enjoyed the three nights at this UNESCO protected World Heritage site. Probably the highlight was a 25 km hike at 11,000 feet. About killed me, but was absolutely beautiful. My Secret Santa, Dave, who is 70 years old, seemed to have little trouble with the hike. (sigh) Also spent some time at the local museum where we received a good tour in English. Bolivia has a few political issues to resolve to say the least.
Yesterday we arrived in Potosi. This was once one of the wealthiest cities on earth due to it's silver mines. The Spaniards have emptied it though and now it's awfully poor. It's also the highest city on earth at over 4,000 meters. Tonight we're heading to a nightclub for NYE. Should be interesting.
Tour is winding down and the Galapagos is next up. Getting excited for that.
12-1 for the Wildcats! Can't wait for that February 28 game against Georgetown!
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
you should give jess the rice krispies "painting"
I like how you just use the metric system and expect us to know it.
The Rice Krispies painting is hanging in a kitchen in suburban Philly. Part of the plunder I was able to get from Bob's house...that and a rusty can opener.
I'll give you fifty cents on the dollar for Snap, Crackle and Pop when I return on Feb 26!!
if you keep crossing borders like that we won't need to follow your blog. we can just catch all the details on tv: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/locked-up-abroad
Post a Comment