Monday, December 1, 2008

SAO PAULO: LAND OF THE FLEX-FUEL HATCHBACK

After a LONG flight from Tahiti to Santiago, Chile (with a strange one hour stop on Easter Island to clear customs) on Thanksgiving, I arrived at the snazziest airport Holiday Inn ever.  After a short sleep, I caught the morning flight to mega-city,  Sao Paulo, Brazil (via Montevideo, Uruguay).  

Once through customs, I snagged a taxi and headed out to someplace OTHER than a hotel for once.  Seems my friend Fiona, who I met in Africa, lives here.  You'll recall I obnoxiously took advantage of her family's hospitality in Norway and Austalia already.   

In the first 24 hours here I tried both a caipirinha (Brazilian national cocktail) and dined at an authentic (I guess) churrascaria, which was a 1/3 cheaper than Fogo de Chao and far tastier. (Technically is was pricier than Fogo, since Kurt paid the only time I ever dined there)

The next day I embarrassingly slept in until about 1:30pm....these things happen.  The day half over, we ended up just having some drinks around the corner and ON the corner literally with Fiona's pals....and then out for more food.  Are you seeing a pattern here?

Sunday I got up slightly earlier and I was able to use my ATM card for the first time in a month! Such a relief.  Had some eggs benedict which I'd been craving.  Did some extensive book shopping in anticipation of some long, long bus rides, ate some pizza (Sunday is evidently Pizza Night in Sao Paulo), and went off Samba.  This would be the Sunday night block party that serves, in theory, as a rehearsal for the singers and dancers for Carnival.  Quite entertaining and it would seem Fiona knew about every third person there.

This morning, I headed off to the Paraguayan consulate....one of the main reasons I'm here in Sao Paulo.  Seems they would like me to have a travel visa before visiting their tiny county.  I was quite nervous about this, but it couldn't have gone more smoothly.  Only potential glitch was that they required payment in U.S. cash, but fortunately I had some with me.  

So now, visa in hand and travel matters resolved, I'm off to Rio tomorrow for a week on my own before beginning a month-long tour next Tuesday.

A few random items I've enjoyed over the past couple days:

-he third item that came through on the baggage carousel at the airport here was a bar stool.  Don't see that every day

-On the Sao Paulo buses, you don't pay the driver. Instead, about 1/3 of the way toward the back, sits an attendant in front of a turnstyle blocking access to the seats in the rear.  54 countries and this was a first for me.

-Last night at Samba, a woman had both arm pits tattooed with skull and crossbones (Fiona, do you know this woman?)

-On my flight from Chile to Sao Paulo, the woman across the aisle, (a Brazilian) saw me place my book and the wallet that I keep my passport in on the seat between us. She then told me I should put it in the seat back so it doesn't get stolen. I wasn't clear if she meant by her or someone else....but I followed her instructions.

The run for the Wildcats continues.....6-0 now!!






1 comment:

JimM said...

... .... aaaaah . I got nothing.