Tuesday, December 23, 2008

SANTA AIN'T COMING THIS YEAR

Sitting here at my hotel in the Brazilian town of Bonito with just enough time to scratch out some notes before our transport takes is into the Pantanal.

Over the last week or so we:

Took an overnight bus to and spent a couple nights in Foz Do Iguazu, a town on the Argentina/Brazil border. It's essentially a tourist town built around the remarkable Iguazu Falls that the two nations share. The day we arrived we checked out the Falls from the Brazilian side. I even took my first helicopter flight, with a couple others from the group.

The next day we crossed over the border and checked them out from the other side. Much, much better. The Falls are four times the size of those in Niagara and I'd say the best natural wonder I've come upon during my year away. Most all of us took a boat trip under the Falls on this second day.

That evening, back in Brazil, a bunch of us went bowling. There's isn't a competent bowler in the bunch, but it was fun....and cheap...and I wore shoes unlike in Laos.

The next day we took a long bus into Paraguay's capital of Ascuncion. Not really sure why this two-night stop was on the itinerary, as there's little to see in Paraguay and it was REALLY hot.

On the bright side, I can check off another country....at the cost of $100 for the travel visa.

Next up after a pit stop in Ponta Pora was the Brazilian town of Bonito where I sit this second. Great time here, though I'm a bit under the weather and smashed my right big toe on a rock.

One day we went to a natural outdoor water park created out of a river. Hard to explain, but it had a waterfall, zipline, diving board, volleyball court (no athletes in this group), ping pong, etc.

The next day we went to the Rio de Prata for the town's signature excursion. They have this pristine, protected river, where regulated groups with guides hop in wearing wetsuits (sexy) and snorkel gear and float down the river for several hours checking out the magnificent fish. Really one of the best days of the trip.

Mixed in amongst all this has been lots of food and drink and a number of good photos that I need to post.

We are next off to the jungle for a couple nights before I attempt to gain admittance into Bolivia.

Oh...and I hate the concept of Secret Santa.

Merry Christmas to everyone....especially the fam in Briarcliff Manor.

CHRIST IS RISEN!! (or is that Easter?)
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

JimM said...

biff and josh say hello

Bob Stricker said...

Josh: "What is this thing?"

Gasper: "It's a Yeti. An abominable snowman"

Biff: "This is that what happens when you f*ck a sheep?"

Josh: "Not an abomination, abominable."