Saturday, October 4, 2008

THEY CALL THEM THONGS, NOT FLIP-FLOPS

Just a few thoughts.

-I arrived in Australia yesterday. Asia was as terrific as I expected, but I was ready to move on after three months.

-I love that the Singapore subways use the term "alight" rather than "exit".

-The Tiger Airways flight attendants wear corduroy pants and shirts emblazoned with a Visa advertisement.

-Add Gordon to the list of Kemp's that I like. Look out Iain and Lesley. I may end up on your doorstep next!

-It felt kinda bizarre walking into my first bar full of "white people" after three months in Asia.

-In the central Australia, they do daylight savings by the HALF hour. As in, when it's 10pm here in Perth, it's 10:30 in......um.....Alice Springs. (my brain was scrambing for a central Australian city)

-At dinner tonight (alone), the waitress said to me, "Can I get you something? Perhaps a magazine?"

-I've rented a car for tomorrow and the following week and I'm almost certain that it will end in disaster. Mark my words.

-I've only been in this english-speaking country for about 24 hours, but I find it funny that when I walk up to proprietors of internet cafes, hotels, bars, restaurants, etc, I'm STILL cautiously and slowly speaking to them as though English might be their second language

2 comments:

Pete said...

whatever happens to the rental will pale in comparison to whats been done to the Porsche

Anonymous said...

Let's make sure we never see you in the U.S. version of a "thong".