From the 2007 edition of Lonely Planet "South America on a Shoestring":
(PERU SECTION)
LAKE TITICACA
South America's largest lake is also the world's highest navigable lake.
(BOLIVIAN SECTION)
LAKE TITICACA
Although it is often wrongly described as the highest navigable lake in the world (both Peru and Chile have higher navigable bodies of water), this incongruous spash of sapphire amid the stark plains of the altiplano is rightly described as one of the most beautiful sights in the region.
------------------------------------
I don't know who edits these damn books. Anyway............yesterday I traveled to Copacabana, a Bolivian town on the shores of Lake Titicaca (no giggling). Ended up being a longer trip in terms of the bus ride than I expected, but nonetheless was worth it. Humongous body of water and terribly pretty as well. Took a boat ride out to Sun Island in the middle of the lake and did some hiking too. Stayed at a very, very cool little german-owned hotel. Only four rooms or "cabins" and mine was a two-story open loft with a HUGE window overlooking the lake. And I think it was about $30 a night. Back in La Paz now. Tomorrow plan to watch about 20 hours of CNN. Coverage from Washington starts at 5am!! The following day I hop a plane to Argentina, which I'm VERY ready for...which leads me to...
RANT NUMBER ONE
While in Bolivia I've met lots of nice people and done some fun stuff, but I have to say that not since Cambodia have I been in a country that I felt was so "on the wrong track". Just seems like a depressing place heading in the wrong direction. They treat their women like crap. They have this blind allegiance to the Catholic Church and various other ancient superstitions. Everywhere, there are abandoned construction projects. There is virtually no foreign investment after the recent industrial nationalization. The corruption is comical. There's a virtual civil war brewing here between the indigenous population and those of Spanish heritage. And the President is pushing a referendum this Sunday to grant him the ability to hold onto his job for life...a bit like another South American leader. Oh.....and they have no McDonald's franchises AND tried to burn down our U.S. Embassy in La Paz last year. Wait...those last two items might be positives for Bolivia. Anyway...the bottom line is I'm ready to move on to Argentina!
RANT NUMBER TWO
I'm definitely still excited for some of the cities and activities remaining on my schedule, but I have to say I want no further interaction over the final five weeks with those that Mason Twigg has so brilliantly labeled, "people who LOVE travelling!!". These would be tourists, generally in their late teens or early 20's who insist on making you aware, simply by their appearance, that they're travelling. These are the folks, usually French or Australian, who dress in the native garb of the country they're visiting, after picking up said clothes (panchos?? sombreros??) at the local market.
These are the travelers who, despite having backpacks three times the size of mine, still are unable to find a clean t-shirt. These are the travelers who roll their own cigarettes and carry guitars on buses. These are the travelers who wear daypacks in front. These are travelers who check into their hostel and then spend a week there eating pasta in the kitchen because they can't afford to soak in any REAL local culture. These are the travelers I want limited connection with over the final five weeks!
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Tune in next week for another episode of "The Snobby Tourist" starring Bob Stricker.
(Just kidding!)
no dumbf3cks
Post a Comment