Tuesday, May 6, 2008

FROM BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA

Arrived this morning on the hydrofoil up the Danube from Budapest. Eric, who arrived in Hungary on Saturday, and I have really just had time to walk around this tiny capital quickly and grab a tasty lunch. Doesn't seem as though there's THAT much too see here, but at the same time seems like a place you could kick back and spend three or four weeks.

Bratislava is in FULL construction mode to prepare itself for an inevitable onslaught of tourism. Construction work is going on around every corner and as Eric said, each street looks a bit like Disney....without fat Americans wearing crocs of course.

Prior to arrival here, I spent five nights (and Eric three) in Budapest. Adding this city to my list of favored locales. Great old architechture, outdoor cafes/bars/restaurants abound, EVERYONE (relative to northern Italy anyway) speaks english and they have thermal baths for the masses. What else does one need?

Stayed in two different snazzy hotels next door to each other which also didn't hurt.

In Budapest, they've come up with an interesting idea for handling cold war "memorabilia". In a field about twenty minutes outside the city, they've assembled a few dozen statues that are no longer so appropriate, nor thankfully relevant. See my pics later on this.

I've had a nagging cold for the past week or so, but I think I'm on the mend now. Next up is Krakow, Poland. After that, Eric heads home and I depart for Prague where I'll meet up with Jenn.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Are those your Sullivan shower flip flops?! At least they match Eric's shirt...that's cool.