Tuesday, January 8, 2008

SWAKOPMUND

It's taken a full week to get back to a town with internet access, but now that I'm in the Namibian coastal town of Swakopmund, internet cafes seem to abound.

Since New Year's we've spent lots of time in the desert and in and about lots and lots of canyons. Yesterday we "climbed" what they claim is the world's highest sand dune at 900 feet. Today I did a little quad bike tour over dunes much smaller than that, but nonetheless amazing. Both were definitely highlights of the trip thus far.

Accomodations have been better than I expected, though I'm told there is one night of camping upcoming......not looking forward to that. My current roommate is having some issues with our guide and continues to threaten to leave the tour. Is it wrong that all I can think of is how nice it would be to have my own room going forward?

Pretty sure I'm going to have to buy some new clothes very soon.

In the upcoming days we're heading northward towards Etosha National Park and eventually east to Chobe.

The food thus far has been pretty good. Lots of fish along the coast naturally and all sorts of meat elsewhere. As I sat on the bus the other day though, my head raced with meals back in Philadelphia that I really missed. Here's what I came up with (in no particular order):

-Meatball parm with sharp provolone from Campos
-Pepper/Wiz steak with from Jim's
-Dinners at Jenn's
-French dip from Society Hill Hotel
-Pizza at 2:15am

OK...I'm making myself hungry, so I'm going to now attempt to post some random photos.

Oh...and also, equally pleased with the Obama and VU/Pitt victories.

4 comments:

JimM said...

I went and had all your favorite meals ... just because I can and you can't. Now where does that Jenn girl live?

Bob Stricker said...

I think we both no full well that you're never awake past 2:00am to get pizza or anything else.

jenn said...

we will be sure to feed you well when you return in march

Denise said...

You know you've become a true Philadelphian when you leave home and you miss the food.